6.07.2004

Sparkle

I was recently introduced to The Zero Boss. It's a pretty good read. I came across one of his entries about naming kids- and how horrible/cruel/stupid so many names are these days. He linked to this site. Also worth reading when time is in need of wasting.

I have always had an interest in names because mine is pretty unique= Jazlyn. It's unique but not hard to read/pronounce/etc. I always receive compliments on it and am often asked about its origin. It's American. My parents snagged it from some movie credits- not that they remember which movie...

I love my name. I can say that because I didn't pick it. But I always wonder how much of my personality, experiences and opportunities would have been different had I been named Sarah. Or Jessica. Or Helga.

It may sound strange, but I think that your name can affect who you are- or at least your experience in the world. Not that I would be a totally different person had I been named Jenny, but I am certain that I would not get the same reaction from people that I have received for so many years. And I think that reaction has shaped who I am-- at least a little.

I graduated from high school with a girl named Sparkle Champaign Bell. Not kidding. Sparkle was a unique person, so it's easy to remember her- not that the name doesn't help. How could being named Sparkle not affect who you are?