7.12.2004

Haiku for Sam

Today is my grandpa's birthday. But he's dead. So does that really count? He would have been 95 had he not died less than two years ago. But it was good that he went. His mind was not here anymore- ya know?

He and my grandma were some of the best people I've ever met. They were married for over 65 years. They really loved their family. They really loved me.

I went to college in the same city they lived in. This proved to be a great situation. Free laundry, an occasional home cooked meal and tons of time to get to know them better. I even had the chance to join a group that my grandma was in-- PEO. Something that I will be in for the rest of my life.

When my grandma died at the end of my freshman year, I decided to stay with Grandpa for the summer. I wanted to stay in town and he needed someone to take care of him. I was 19. He was 90. He was already moving into dementia, so it turned into an interesting summer. Very difficult at times, but something I will never regret or forget.

He moved into a nursing home that fall when I moved back into the dorms. It took him a little over 3 years to lose the battle and join my grandma.

I hope I can be so lucky to have what they had. So today I remember my Grandpa Sam with a lovely haiku. :)

Warm smile, and kind eyes
Would hum entering a room
Strongest hands ever

That's what I remember most about him. He would walk into the living room, observe the situation and hum- abruptly-, "Mmm-hm!" And when he shook your hand for the first time, you knew that he could crush your hand if he wanted to-- but you also knew that he never would.