7.27.2004

Bring on the beer

Each summer, around 10,000 crazies participate in a little thing in Iowa called RAGBRAI. The Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. This consists of dipping a tire in the Missouri River on an early Sunday morning on the west side of the state, followed by a week-long trek to dip a tire in the Mississippi River on the east side of the state. I'm leaving out all of the details in the middle, which can be summed up as: hills and booze.

From my experiences meeting people that are not from the Midwest, when they think of Iowa----- wait- they don't. They usually think of Ohio or Idaho...

Me: "I'm from Iowa."

Moron: "Oh! Potatoes!"

Me: "No. Corn. And education."

So, the slightly more informed non-Iowan will probably think of the heartland as: flat land, made up of fields of corn, small towns and... not much else.

WELL- let me just set the record straight by saying we also grow soy beans, we have 4 non-small towns, and the state is NOT flat. And... not much else.

In that spirit, when RAGBRAI comes through town, it is an EVENT! I am traveling an hour and a half back to my hometown tonight to celebrate at an 'overnight' location. This means that super tired bike riders will be entertained with music, food, beer gardens and the like. Screw the bikes- I just want the party! I even took the day off tomorrow in anticipation of necessary recovery time.

**Flashback- Jessica- remember when we were in HS, and we went to the overnight in Chuck-town with Libby? Ooohhhh myyyy... **

My partner in crime tonight is Kristin. Tully will be there too. I may or may not have stories from tonight that I may or may not share... we will see...