8.26.2004

Bye to the babies

If you were paying attention last April, I told a story about my boyfriend, his obsession with trees, and most importantly, our discovery of sprouting acorns. Here's an excerpt:

I have never seen an acorn sprout- and unbelievably- neither had Jesse. We put some in our pockets, zoomed to the store to buy some pots and dirt, and planted them. We now have *8* little oak trees growing in my apartment! ...

We have named them: Red Wood, Tinker, Oscar, Apricot, Bert, Peanut, Gorgon (Gorgy) and Gumball.

Fast forward 4 months and it's still dorky to name trees, but we have now planted two of them: Peanut and Oscar. Last weekend we put them in a field full of other little trees. They looked SO LITTLE in the big, fat earth.

We put fences around them to fend off the rabbits and deer, but now they have to battle the wind... and rain... and the unrelenting sun! Wait- I guess those are good things for trees...

Live on little oaks!